Sunday 2 November 2008

Half Term Media Report

Well it's sunday night, and i can finally fill you in on my media troubles and strives over half term. I hope i am not alone in saying this, but i'm aware that the amount of time that i have spent watching tv and using the internet and my computer is hugely excessive, but to be honest, if i haven't got better things to do then why not? I have spent an average of 3 hours a day on my computer and 2 hours watching television. To be honest, I could've been a lot worse, but i tried to busy myself with other things. This average was taken over my 15 days on half term, and for 10 of those days i spent an hour playing my playstation 2. Is it worth buying a next generation console? I have got the money but which one etc.? 
Over half term i have also done other media related things. I went and bought two 7" singles after seeing them advertised on television and online. One was Bloc Party's new single 'Talons', which i would recommend to anybody who is a fan of Bloc party or just like strange sounds, fusing rock with a hint of electronica mixed in. The Other one was the new Bond theme 'Another Way to Die' by Jack White and Alicia Keys. After hearing this on Radio 1 a while back, and not liking it, i found myself listening to it continually using youtube. I think it's a good and interesting Bond Theme, and really gives new listeners to the great Jack White a sample of his creative, garage-blues sound, and i think he has written a classic and retro sounding bond theme. However, this is just my opinion and I would like to hear other bloggers opinions on this issue. On Youtube, it has had mixed feedback as you can see here:
In other news, The Black Lights, the band that i am in have just recorded their second demo, which is due to be mixed and ready to be released later next week. I will fill you all in on details when the time comes. Also the original Demo that was recorded on the 21st June earlier on this year has found its way into the hands of The Last Shadow Puppets, the side project of Alex Turner of the Arctic Monkeys, and Miles Kane from The Rascals after it was handed to them by Jamie and I as we were fortunate to meet these legends and are awaiting some form of feedback on the demo soon. I think thats about it, but i'm also writing articles on Music accompanying Films and also on The Rating of Video games. Tata for now...

2 comments:

Sacha van Straten said...

I was not that impressed with the new Bond theme when I heard it on the radio.

Then, when I saw Quantum of Solace at the cinema last week I thought it was brilliant!

As you say, very retro and in fact it works with the opening title visuals brilliantly.

I think some people have a prejudice against particular artistes and that clouds their judgement on whether or not the end product itself deserves merit.

Thomas Arch said...

I totally agree, as when i heard it for the first time i didn't like it either, but it grew on me and i think its a great theme, and fits it perfectly.

I Actually hadn't seen the film when i published that blog, but i have now and i thought a particular part of the sequence involving the bullet hitting the sand was amazing.

I totally agree, and maybe just because i am more aware of this issue now, but I feel that the most recent Bond Theme's come under particular scrutiny, and are often criticized where others haven't. People who don't like Jack White or Alicia Keys are going to be less likely to like it, and are going to be despondent about it.

Just out of interest, who do you think would make a good Bond theme? I think The Last Shadow Puppets or Muse would be good and interesting bond themes but what do you think?